SERIOUS LEGO PLAY
Digital transformation is a key element for businesses worldwide. According to the 2018 Digital Transformation Index, approximately 40 percent of companies have a dedicated internal digital transformation team. The other 60% use IT outsourcing partners to inform technological change and remain competitive. Relationships between businesses and these outsourcing partners are transforming from traditional output-based approaches to more specialised arrangements using more flexible contract models so it is important to know how IT outsourcing partnerships are evolving to meet the digital transformation demands of today.
Lego Serious Play is a facilitation methodology created by the Lego Group and since 2010 is available under an open source community-based model. Participants work through imaginary scenarios using visual three-dimensional Lego constructions, hence the name "Serious Play”. Lego serious play is great for groups and allows, through the process of adding and taking away bricks, individuals to think laterally.
Lego Serious Play for storytelling scenarios can demonstrate what can happen if a company decides to pursue digital transformation internally vs working with external partners. It can allow the participants to gain experience by seeing the results of their actions within the storytelling scenarios without real life consequences.
Furthering an understanding of technology partnerships, outsourcing and suppliers.
Foster creative thinking through team building, using Lego bricks to create metaphors of organisational identities and experiences.
Can be tailored to your workshop / class/ seminar.
Level of difficulty
Lego, CAD software
How does it work?
The session starts with the facilitator asking a question: Participants respond to this through building and creating stories. Therefore the question should be simple, and have many potential answers. Questions such as “What’s the ideal end result for this project?” or “What would be the biggest challenge for this design outsourcing initiative?” or “How can our team benefit from working more collaboratively?”
The question should encourage participants to think creatively and access their unconscious thoughts for the next step.
Model building: Each participant builds their own 3-D model using the LEGO® bricks in response to the question, bearing in mind principles of storytelling and metaphors.
Participants share their stories: All individuals share the meaning of their 3D model with the rest of the team. All those taking part must share their story, enabling everyone’s participation during the session, and encouraging their commitment to the workshop.
Through the telling of their story, participant’s minds will make more connections, the building of the models acting as a catalyst. Therefore the resulting is stories will contain knowledge and ideas that the participants weren’t aware of.
Story-making adds meaning and gives context to the metaphors and imagination exemplified throughout the process.
Questions and reflections
The facilitator and participants reflect on the key findings of the exercise, and delve further into the meaning of the models. The facilitator then will provide a summary of the connections in the team’s work.